Oracle ACE, Asif Momen’s first book is released from Packt Publishing: Oracle Database XE 11gR2 Jump Start Guide. As you know, Oracle Database XE is a free version of the Oracle RDBMS. Oracle XE is limited to only use one CPU on a system; use up to 1GB of RAM; store up to 11G of user data. These limitations shouldn’t make you think that Oracle Database XE is not good for production. It’s a great product for small applications and can be upgraded to other Oracle versions if needed.
In his book, Asif Momen guides you how to install and use Oracle XE and explains fundamentals of Oracle Databases and Oracle Application Express.
Table of Contents:
- Chapter 1, Database Editions and Oracle Database XE: Compares Oracle Database XE with other editions
- Chapter 2, Installing and Uninstalling Oracle Database XE
- Chapter 3, Connecting and Configuring Oracle Database 11g XE: Oracle Listener and Oracle memory management
- Chapter 4, Accessing Table Data, DML Statements, and Transactions: How to use Oracle SQL Developer to access, modify data, table structures and manage transactions
- Chapter 5, Creating and Managing Schema Objects: Tables, indexes, constraints, views, sequences, and synonyms
- Chapter 6, Developing Stored Subprograms and Triggers: Introduction to PL/SQL (stored procedures, functions, and triggers)
- Chapter 7, Building a Sample Application with Oracle Application Express: Introduction to Oracle Application Express (APEX)
- Chapter 8, Managing Database and Database Storage: Memory structure, processes, physical database structure and the Flash Recovery Area
- Chapter 9, Moving Data between Oracle Databases: Move data between different Oracle Database XE versions using Oracle’s export/import utilities
- Chapter 10, Upgrading Oracle Database 11g XE to Other Database Editions: When you need more power, you may want to upgrade your database
- Chapter 11, Backup and Recovery: Archivelog mode, basics of backup and recovery
- Chapter 12, Tuning Oracle Database 11g XE: Execution Plans of Queries, Indexes, Statspack
“Oracle Database XE 11gR2 Jump Start Guide” provides practical information to help you start using Oracle Database XE. It’s sufficient for beginners and has very useful information such as upgrading XE to other editions, but keep in mind that, it is not a reference book, and some subjects (such as recovery and tuning) are not deeply explained. If you have a basic knowledge of SQL and want to step into the Oracle XE, this is the book you need.
WANT TO GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE?
You can win a free copy of Packt’s Oracle Database XE 11gR2 Jump Start Guide eBook. All you need to do is visit this page and look through the product description of the book and drop a comment on this blog post to let me know what interests you the most about the book. It’s that simple.
The contest is organized by Packt Publishing and will close on August 14, 2012. Packt is sponsoring 2 free copies of the book. Winners will be contacted by email, so be sure to use your real email address when you comment!